Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Men's Volleyball Logo - DENIED

My logo design was denied by University Communications this morning. The action lines and underline are a part of the registered logo, the Flying C, and the design is just too close to the original. This much I understand, because the logo pretty much is the Flying C.

When I spoke with the woman who rejected the design, I was very cooperative with her. I think she was expecting me to put up a big fight, but I know the deal, and instead of trying to argue in my favor, I just asked what could be done to fix this issues. All of the action lines would have to be removed, but then we are left with just a volleyball. She suggested adding a drop shadow, but a ball and a drop shadow seems really weak. That loses all character.

She told me that it was still a great design, but it was too great.

Since CMU doesn't have a mascot, the Flying C is their athletics branding. There is absolutely no way to incorporate Chippewas (or anything Native American) into a logo without it creating controversy, or even being borderline offensive.

The decision whether or not to try to come up with a new logo is still up in the air. None of my ideas are as strong as this one. Sigh...

3 comments:

hws said...

:(

Danny B said...

:'( ... i say convince the volleyball coach to adopt this logo and then it can be a trademark the club can utilize as well!

Jeffrey said...

What jerks!