Monday, April 18, 2011

ART 235 - Project 5 - Part 1

Here's the first update of my final project, which if you recall involves a bunch of work. If you need a refresher of what it entails, check out this post. Otherwise I will get right into showing you the logo of my business.

The first logo I want to show you is one of the two designs I was working with.



This design shows an intersection of lines as you would see them on an actual tennis court, and it creates the letter T, which would have worked very well. It was my lesser favorite of the two designs, and I knew I could eliminate it once I found out the Tennis Channel has a similar logo.

So my next design is a lot less rigid and blocky, and more natural. The typeface looks smooth, and there is a lot of implied motion displayed.



At first the arc was black, but I played around with some colors and I found that red added a great contrast to the logo, and a lot more motion. The "Tennis Co." type was the same at first, but I changed it to create more of a separation between the fun of "Topspin" and the business of "Tennis Co." I am actually keeping a lot of the colored variations as secondary uses which will appear in my identity guide.

Speaking of identity guide, I did quite a bit of work on it this morning, and I expect to actually be finished with it by the end of Wednesday's class. Here is a shot of the front cover:



The blue court is a staple of the US Open, and it creates a very fun and professional visual for the cover (DYK: "US Open" refers to tennis, and "U.S. Open" refers to golf?). I even looked up the dimensions for a tennis court, and modeled my identity guide to be the right proportions, so the lines are exactly where they should be. When you open the booklet, you will see a full court:



I had the thought of using the court design on the inner pages, but it would have been way too distracting, and the lines/colors would be very difficult to place text and images over. But as a cover, it looks awesome. I know it's simple like my AJGA booklet was, but I find it less distracting and more business-professional.

I am also playing around more with how I use space on my pages. When I started my last project, I upped my pages from 8 to 12, and I found myself this morning starting with 12 and then increasing that to 16. I doubt I will go any further than that, because I really don't want to pay those printing costs.

I am also having some fun writing my mission statement and company history. It's going to have some tongue-in-cheek humor and quite a few puns, such as how we "serve the community."

I have yet to begin work on my postcards, poster or three-dimensional packaging. I've got some ideas for the last one, but it doesn't go any farther than sticking a new label on a can of tennis balls.

1 comment:

Danny B said...

Very cool, I do like the first design a lot, but I guess you've had enough copyright infringement for one semester eh?