Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Wood Chips IV

It's February, so you know what that means: fantasy baseball!

Yahoo opened up this year's fantasy baseball leagues in the past week, so my free time has been consumed by making our league's schedule, projecting keepers, mock drafts, and (of course) logo redesigns.

Last year, Wood Chips saw its best season to date, finishing above .500 for the first time, as well as reaching the 100-win milestone. It was a huge success jumping from ninth place up to the top spot by the midway of the season, but falling short of the playoffs and ultimately ending up in the seventh spot after the consolation bracket.

The rebranding of the team's logo was a gigantic reason in boosting team morale, and this year I hope to go even farther with another adjustment to the Wood Chips identity.

First, a refresher of last year's logo:


You can scroll below this post to read up more about it, or be lazy and click here.

Things that were going to stay for the 2015 design were the color scheme and the outer circle with "Wood Chips Baseball." I wanted to de-clutter the inner circle, and stick with a simple, yet bold WC. You can actually get a lot of decent ideas by doing a Google image search for "wc logo," and I connected with this design.


A quick trace in Illustrator, and fooling around with replacing the colors, I had the similar design with the new WC.


Pretty classy looking, a consistent theme from last year, and overall not a terrible design.

But I wanted it to POP, and I was curious as to how it would look with a solid circle and no gray. Well...


Wow, that POPS. It was amazing.

But it didn't scale too well with the text on the top and bottom of the circle. Yahoo blurred my text and cluttered my tiny circle. I couldn't have that. This isn't some amateur fantasy baseball team. This is fifth season of this league, and the sixth season of the Wood Chips moniker. It has to own that name. It has to own that logo. It has to be bold and make a statement.

So I scrapped the words and enlarged the letters.


BOOM BABY.

The Wood Chips are back, with a vengeance. This is the logo that will finally carry the team into the playoffs (either that, or the five draft picks I have in the first two rounds).

1 comment:

Danny B said...

I love that I just found this.