Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sunscreen

We work in the sun. A lot. I work less in the sun than our ops teammates because our main duties are behind the computer or in front of the world's most unreliable copying machines. But that's no excuse for not wearing sunscreen.

I wear sunscreen mostly everyday. Some days I feel like it's too cloudy or rainy to need sunscreen, but I usually lather up before I go out to follow groups or find my perch to shoot 800+ player photos during the first round. (Yeah, I really do take that many pictures, and of the 800+ we will only use about 5 to post to the website)

I keep sunscreen in my backpack, but one of our sponsors is a sunscreen company, and we put big tubes on the starters tables, and that is where I usually sunscreen up. I encourage the players to wear sunscreen, too. It's practical and reliable. Don't burn, reapply at the turn.

But I am getting quite tan, it seems. More tan than I was last summer, despite me always being outside last summer. The main change is I wore jeans everyday last summer and now I am wearing nut-hugging short-shorts. Seriously, these shorts are tiny.

I also sit in a golf cart a lot, and the left side of my body is more tan than my right. How much more tan? Well, it's funny, really. My left leg is very tan from the knee down to the socks. Then I have ghost-white feet. And the hairs on my knee are blonde from the sun.

Best part? There is a very distinct tan line on my thigh where you can see how short my shorts really are. It's funny.

On days like today (Wednesdays) I know my neck is protected. Not because of the sunscreen, but because I pop my jollar. (Jollar=jean collar. It's a pink shirt and the underside of the collar is denim-blue. It's ridiculous, but designed to be popped, so I pop my jollar. Always have, always will).

Sunscreen also has another meaning. The first tournament we worked, sometimes we would call for one of the staff members and he would reply, "Hold on, I'm reapply sunscreen." That's another way of saying "Reading a magazine," or as I like to put it, "Doing some paperwork."

It means pooping.

1 comment:

Danny B said...

Hahahaha reapplying sunscreen... love it.