Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Facial Hair

I've told this to a ton of people this summer:

The hardest part of the summer is having to shave everyday.

I said that in May. I said that in June. I said that in July. I'm saying that in August. I even told that to our regional director in our one-on-one review session two weeks ago. I even showed him a picture of my with long hair and a beard. He loved it.

What I do have are my sideburns. I love my sideburns. The worst two weeks of my life were the two weeks I didn't have sideburns. Not one staff member has said anything about my sideburns this summer, so I've kept them (and they've even been creeping just a little bit longer every day).

Back at IRW, when we were told we could ask anything, I asked if my sideburns were appropriate. The answer I was given was definite, so when I started the internship, I tested the waters with the sideburns again.

Again, nobody said anything. So they stayed.

In fact, there is a full-time staff member who also has sideburns. We've worked with him twice so far this summer, and the story goes that he used to have a goatee and some other facial hair. Then he was hired on at Harbour Town and had to shave. His mother was so happy about that.

Long story short: I love my sideburns. Onto the next topic.

What I love about my days off is not having to shave. It's so liberating. The second most liberating feeling after untucking my shirt at the end of the day. The scruff on my face brings me back into reality, or so it seems, and I feel more like myself. Even at the end of the day I get some specs of facial hair popping up (either that or I did a poor job shaving at the beginning of the day).

I look forward to not needing to shave for an extended period of time. I admit, I was looking through some pictures of my with a beard from last year and I can't believe how impressively massive it was. I try to show those pictures off to my teammates and they can hardly believe that that is me. All they know is the clean-shaven Tim with short hair.

Shifting topics quick again, I haven't cut my hair since the first week of May (as a birthday/mother's day/graduation gift for my mommy) and it is now getting the point where it is getting wavy in the back. I love when it gets wavy in the back and curls out from under my hat. I also look forward to the days where I can wear a headband over the hair and just let the hair hang loose.

But that's another month or so away.

The sideburns will have to suffice until then.

2 comments:

hws said...

This made me laugh. :)

Jeffrey said...

You liar! I touched up your hair before you left!