Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rain, rain, go away

It's really been 10 days since I last posted? Well, I believe it.

Internet sucks at this hotel. Phone reception sucks in this hotel. The beds suck in this hotel (sleep number beds are bull crap, it's a more high-tech version of an air mattress).

We're in Huntsville, Alabamer, and the weather is something else here. When it rains, it pours. Literally. There is no light sprinkle or drizzle; it either rains hard or it isn't raining. We looked ahead for this week's weather yesterday, and our TD made the decision to go from starting off one tee with threesomes to starting off two tees with foursomes. This was hoping that we could get everybody off the course before the weather struck.

We couldn't.

There were still five groups who have yet to finish when we were delayed by heavy, heavy rain for over three and a half hours. This clearly left a few upset players, but even more upset parents. I feel bad for our TD who has to put up with that stuff.

For instance: after we got back out on the course, a player ended up hitting five balls off No. 8 tee. He finished with a 15 on that hole and a, 85 total. The parent made the argument that if he had the chance to warm-up beforehand, he wouldn't have done so bad, and then maybe finished 4-over-par instead of 14-over-par.

However, if we hadn't had this window of not crummy weather and not gotten the kids back on the course, that same parent would have been upset that we didn't finish the round and that they would have had to make up those holes tomorrow. And if THAT was the case, imagine all of the work that we would have had to go into setting that up.

Back to the heavy rain.

During Sunday's qualifier, we played a shotgun with foursomes. They all played 18 holes, we scored them, we did the award ceremony, and then immediately after finishing that, it came down hard. My TD and I were under the scoreboard with the scorecards and camera (two of the most important things from the day) and had to run back into the clubhouse. We really lucked out there.

And I really lucked out and found a sweet waterfall to take pictures of. You may have already seen that.

Wow, it is late, and I am tired. But I have the day off tomorrow. I hope I can sleep in until after 8.

Oh, while I am still just going off this train of thought thing, I wrote a poem this afternoon.

I wrote a haiku
When I was taking pictures.
This is that haiku.

2 comments:

hws said...

I love your poem, Tim
It made me happy to read
Oscar liked it, too.

Danny B said...

If you're playing in a tournament for assumedly talented junior golfers you should not be taking 8 shots off the teebox anyway. Couldn't get warmed up? Tell them just wait til they wake up hungover and the world starts spinning when they reach down to put the first teeball down. Babies haha... Btw huuuge storm here today with big'o rain.