Saturday, May 28, 2011

Preseason Junior at Château Élan

It's hard to believe that today is Saturday.

Saturday......

It's been a long week of training, and yesterday and today were the final days to learn everything that we needed to do. I'm an ace at photography. Writing stories (and shells) are easy. InDesign and Photoshop are nothing. InfoScore (our scoring system) is still a bit tricky, but our notebooks have step-by-step directions for virtually everything and anything we might encounter. Plus, the checklist will be our best friend this summer.

This morning we got to get out on the course and do some set up. My team set up the ropes around the first tees. We drove around the 16th, 17th, and 18th holes setting up water coolers and flipping over the Care for the Course buckets. Went over the 15 and did yet another review of the rules. I think I'm good with the rules.

Well, at least I better be good with the rules because one of my teammates and I are the first pair to go out tomorrow morning with the first group of golfers as their rules official and pace of play official. That's pretty exciting, and our rules coach who will be with the first three pairings is a really great guy (everyone who works here is great, actually) and I expect it to move smoothly.

This afternoon us communications folk got to see more of the operations side of the work, and vice versa. We rode around the course and learned about hole placements, stenciling the distances, marking hazards and out of bounds, etc.

After that we got down to business.

The basement has now been set up as tournament headquarters for the Preseason Junior at Château Élan. Our communications teams now have our computers down there, and we did plenty of pre-tournament setup. Did I mention that the checklist is our best friend? I don't really need to get too much into what we did, because it was mostly grunt work and printing papers that need be printed.

After dinner (pizza!) we headed over to the hotel, where registration and the meetings were taking place. As the ops people did the registration work, I was around the taking pictures of the juniors and other random happenings in the hall. I wish I could have gotten some better pictures, but I was using the medium length lens and had to pick my spots wisely (mostly in the corners). I am really proud of two or three of my photos. They have great logo placement.

We helped set up the projectors and the screens for the meetings, and then helped take them down. And then our duties for the day were over, and got back to the hotel before 8:30. Did I mention we were at headquarters before 7 am?

Did I also mention that for tomorrow's first round, We have to be at headquarters before 6? This is going to be a really fun weekend.

2 comments:

hws said...

Busy busy! Oscar sends hugs and face smacks :)

Danny B said...

Ahhhh so exciting! Hope yesterday went well and that Emma and I can take you out for a birthday dinner Wednesday!