Saturday, November 19, 2011

6th Annual Barth/Wing Bonspiel

Adam and I have gone curling every year since the Winter Olympic Games inspired us back in 2006. We started off with just six people on one sheet and the Annual Barth/Wing Bonspiel has grown ever since. I suggested we make t-shirts for last year's event, but Adam shot that down.

Something he wouldn't be able to stop, however, was an official logo for this year's event. Yup, a semester of training has made me good enough to start making official logos for big-time events. I even did this pro bono.

I had the image in my mind of what it should look like, and I started there. It was just a simple square shaped image, and I wanted text on the top and the side which shared the common "B" from the title. Then I would place the image (which hadn't been decided on then) in the space beneath.

Google is a big help when it comes to images. Searching "curling" or "curling stones" or "that one curling girl that posed nude last year" yielded many results, but still not as many as I would have preferred...

Well I stumbled upon a good enough image of a couple of stones in the house and decided to use that as my template for tracing my own stones in Illustrator. After the primary stone was finished, I was happy with the result, but wanted to see what I could produce with adding two more stones into the mix. I didn't like it as much.

So I balanced out the text and the images into what worked best, and have a black border around the whole thing to help simplify it and keep it together.

You are waiting for what it looks like, eh?



Ta da! It's my first work in Illustrator as a college grad. It helps to keep these skills in order, because that pen tool can be a tricky little fellow to master. I hope you like it and that it inspires you all to go curling!

1 comment:

Danny B said...

This gave me a pro bono...