Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Men's Volleyball Logo - Prime

After doing some brainstorming and sketch work during class time for my final project, I stuck around in the lab to begin work on the new logo for CMU Men's Club Volleyball. I know what you will see at the end of this post looks amazing, but once it is finished it will be all sorts of awesome.

To begin, my idea for the logo started with the two things that it will stand for: Central Michigan University and volleyball. We should all be familiar with the Flying C (at least I know the two people who read this blog are familiar with it, you have both graduated from CMU), so as a basis for the logo I used the Flying C.



Next, I needed to find a good image of a volleyball to use in place of the C. A quick Google image search for "volleyball ball" yielded many results, but I was looking for one that showed an angle with plenty of distinct detail, and that could rotated (if necessary) to match the movement the lines in the Flying C create.



So I placed those images in Illustrator on their own separate layer so I could work on tracing each one individually and not have so much overlap/distraction. I took some liberties in resizing and altering the images as necessary, and after a quick tracing with the pen and line tools, this is what I created.



Remember, this is after tracing ONLY. Touch ups will include removing the sections of lines from the ball, a bit of alterations to the patches on the ball, and of course adding the colors. Either tonight or tomorrow night I will be finishing this project and by Friday afternoon I will have the final product up.

And I know after numerous claims, I will be absolutely certain about the one thing I left with CMU Men's Club Volleyball. THIS is my legacy.

1 comment:

Danny B said...

Looks sweet, can't wait to see the finished product!